Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wisdom is thrown into jail

Studio 60 update: Mrs. Transient Gadfly asked me recently if I thought Studio 60 had gotten better lately, so I feel I should give my current thoughts, now that December (make that November...I am in mourning over the death of the standard tv season but more on that later) sweeps are over. And yes, the show has become marginally better. One, they have realized that the fewer "comedy" sketches they include, the happier they are, just as I advised. B, Aaron and Tommy have returned to that which they do best: the love. There is, in fact, so much love going on or about to be going on that it almost seems as if they were sitting around one day and said to each other "What was that thing that we did so well on The West Wing and Sports Night and The American President? Oh, right, the LOVE! Bring us some of that, pronto!" And so, romance is afoot on many feet. And I won't say between who and whom because I have not labeled this paragraph "spoiler," but if you have watched the show for more than, I don't know, 20 seconds, I bet you can guess who is involved. Three (you forgot we were making a list, didn't you?), they have become a tad (but just a tad) less pedantically preachy. Their brand of preachy was endearing when it dealt with liberal (at least until the last few seasons) politics but has come off as whiny when it's been applied to Hollywood. So things are looking up for them, as the fact that they have been picked up for a full season indicates (but then, Standoff, with that Office Space guy Ron we all know and love, has also been picked up for a full season, and I do not know a single person who watches that show--except me, and I only do it via Myspace--so full season pick-ups are not the divining rod they once were), but I will be interested to see if they last into another season. I still have my doubts, my love for Bradley Whitford and (sober) Matthew Perry notwithstanding.

Okay, quick Aaron/Tommy poll: who would you rather be with, Josh or Sam? Danny or Matt? Answers to come forthwith.

No comments: