Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

All the kanes and wahines

The party's over. Literally. Friday night has come and gone and though it was a success, I am so very glad it's done. The decorations went up without too many hitches, the food was plentiful, the program was short and sweet, and the clean up didn't take too long, with the help of some valiant volunteers who stayed 'til the bitter end to assist us helping us take away bags of trash and wash numerous dishes. Even the musical number (an SAT version of Silent Night) I managed to somehow be a part of and for which I managed to practice very little went well, so you know that was a little bit of Christmas magic!

And then after much needed decompression came today, our anniversary! And guess what? It snuck up on us! So, this morning, in a fit of inspiration and in the spirit of our moratorium on spending money and because it was the Sabbath, I made my husband breakfast in bed. To be precise, I asked him in bed what he wanted for breakfast and then went to make it while he fed Baby J his yogurt. So sort of the same thing, right?? As it turns out, I have a lot of breakfast items on hand, and out of the myriad choices he was offered (including waffles, omelets, eggs, toast, breakfast burritos, and sausage), he chose pancakes, so he got super healthy 6 grain pancakes (made with my food storage, natch). But pancakes seemed a little plain to me, so I jazzed them up with chocolate chips (VERY rich), blueberries (picked them myself, very tasty), and bananas (delicious, the cream of the crop). Not all at once, of course, but they made for a yummy assortment, if I do say so myself. I was even quite the Molly, making extra and freezing them for breakfast for another day.

As is our tradition, the husband and I will check out the piggy bank given to us for our wedding and into which we've tossed our spare change over the year specifically in anticipation of our anniversary. This year the pickings there are quite slim, since most of our spare change has gone right back into buying lunches and filling parking meters, but that's part of the challenge, to see what we can do with whatever we've accumulated.

In the meantime, we've gone to church, with much running around on the husband's part and much teaching and meeting on my part. It's the end of the year, so the husband has year end charitable contribution settlements to do, and the women's organization needs to spend our budget before it evaporates come 2009. Plus, our current teacher scheduled for this Sunday is moving away, and we don't have her replacement in yet, so it was time for me to do yet another lesson. (I continue to hope the women don't get bored with my all too frequent appearances at the podium!) As usual, the day of rest turns out to be not so restful after all!

1 comment:

Transient Gadfly said...

Work that, "We're going to the Hukilau" reference. Work it.