Pages

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Dinner is served...again

It's like all I'm doing lately is cooking or something! I suppose that's an improvement from my norm of not cooking at all, right? My latest discovery is Our Best Bites, "tips, tricks and tastes from two real-life [Mormon] kitchens. Once again, I stumbled onto them from a non-Mormon site, which is good news for the Mormon gals, no?

Today, I made their Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos...sort of. Of course! Here's their recipe, in case you're too lazy or uninterested to click over (though I recommend you do--I took out their editorial comments so if you want the real deal, you should):

1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
1/4 C green salsa
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken
1 C grated pepperjack cheese
small corn tortillas
kosher salt
cooking spray

And now for my changes, in order:

I used red instead of green salsa because we had it on hand. I used dried grated onions instead of onion powder and I really didn't measure, just shook. I nixed the cilantro because, well, blech. I added more green onions because they're so tasty. And now for the big switches! I used leftover shredded pork pot roast from earlier in the week, but I didn't have two full cups worth, so I supplemented with some leftover rice. And I used about half as much grated cheddar cheese to cut down on the dairy content. AND, the Best Bites women also recommended using flour tortillas for a change of pace, which we did. Voila, pork taquitos with homemade guacamole (my own recipe: avocados, chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions, lime juice, and salt, quantities vary widely depending on my mood)! Sooo good!

There's a debate going on right now on some recipe websites about whether or not you should include all your changes/additions/subtractions to a given recipe and then go ahead and rate the recipe despite all the transformations you did. A VERY vocal minority say doing so shouldn't be done, but I, for one, LOVE all the extra info from real world cooks and I assume you do, too, or else this post has been such a bore for you! If you are one of those unlucky readers, will some gratuitous cute boys pics make up for your wasted time? I hope so!



1 comment:

Linsey said...

Thanks for the Birthday calls. We are really struggling these days to return calls, emails, assignments, taxes, pre-school applications, unnecessary purchases, mis-sent mail, and whatever else needs returning.

Eli is getting so big. I can't believe he'll be 1 in just a couple of weeks!