Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

'Tis another season

We're trying out a slightly different take on Easter dinner tomorrow.  I've always felt a bit odd having ham for Easter, but I couldn't think of a way to make the meal special without it being a repeat of Christmas or Thanksgiving.  However, this year, I was following a Pinterest path (you know, when you see something you like on Pinterest, following the pic to the actual site, browse around there a little while, and then follow their links to something much more exciting....?  is there an actual term out there for this yet?) when I stumbled upon this idea for an Easter dinner modeled on a Passover Seder. 

I'm not going to adopt her question and answer format (modelling is okay, but let's stop short of appropriation, problematic on so many levels) but instead we'll have brief statements explaining the symbolism just before we eat.  Emphasis on brief: I'm working with a 3 and a 5 year old after all, and they have the attention span of a gnat unless there are talking dinosaurs, dragons, or trains involved...unless there's a book to be read to them, but, big surprise, no book exists to explain the made up Easter symbol meal...yet! 

Oh, and we're skipping the lamb, because I really, really don't like lamb, and I think the fish is plenty for us.  (And yes, I am making the mango salsa pictured on her fish because I just couldn't get it out of my mind when I saw it!)  And unless I get really ambitious tomorrow, I will not be making pita bread from scratch and we'll have pre-made round pretzel rolls instead.  I still think it's going to be yummy!  And a much better way to celebrate the Atonement and the Resurrection than ham!

No comments: