Pages

Friday, January 04, 2008

Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana

Still pregnant: 1 cm dilated, 50% effaced, 100% uncomfortable.

So here's the thing: I live in a very red state and attend a very red congregation. And many of the latter are going to be crushed by Iowa's Republican results. And many of the former are going to be crushed by Iowa's Democratic results. Whilst I, on the other hand, have very little to say about it all but do have one or two observations that I feel compelled to offer in the spirit/season of politicking.

How do I feel about the Democratic results? Pretty good, actually. I haven't really made up my mind about whom I am supporting, but I was leaning toward either Edwards or Obama, so I like that they are one and two. I've been a fan of Edwards since the last campaign, though I do think his whole populist "I'm for the middle class" message is a tad overdone this time around. And I like Obama's change rhetoric symbolically as well as actually, though I'd support an Edwards/Obama ticket and think we were getting the best of both worlds. But will Iowa really be a blow to Hillary? That still remains to be seen, I think. And as for the also ran's, all I really have to say is Biden, did you really think it would turn out any other way??

How do I feel about the Republican results? It really doesn't matter what I think about them, does it? However, the husband pronounced in all seriousness last night before we went to bed "If Huckabee wins the nomination, I am going to vote for a Democrat." And he confirmed his commitment to this stance again this morning after seeing the results, which I thought was sort of monumental. However, I don't think he's actually going to have to go through with this declaration because I think the establishment is about to say "what in the world were we thinking?" and throw its support behind McCain (because Guiliani is, frankly, not a Republican and Thompson is just a not-so-pretty face and Ron Paul is...Ron Paul).

Next up, Michigan and South Carolina. I can't wait for the endless phone calls to begin!

No comments: