Pages

Sunday, March 02, 2008

I will go, I will do

We just posted some new pics (and cleaned up some of the duplicates, Dad) and caught some of those elusive smiles, so take a look. Actually, the smiles aren't elusive at all anymore, but pictures documenting them are. We even got a picture of Jacob's "I'm really trying to work through some digestive issues" face, which amuses me to no end. You'll know it when you see it.

So, it's 6 am on a Sunday and you might be wondering what I'm doing blogging. Or, you might know exactly what I'm doing. Jacob slept well last night but has been fussy and awake since 5-ish so I have given up trying to pat him to sleep and have come out to try bouncing. He had a hard day yesterday. The husband took over the night shift and it went relatively well, but then the rest of the day our so-called schedule was thrown off. You never recognize that you even have a schedule until it gets hopelessly disrupted, I guess.

As another change of pace, the husband's boss and wife are coming for dinner tonight. I'm not really worried about the cooking but the cleaning to get the house in some semblance of order is going to be daunting. Luckily, the husband will be here to help/hold the baby so we should be alright, but goodness, it's been a long while since we've entertained. We haven't even had a housewarming party and we've been here months and months already. Some day soon our lives will turn back into what they are supposed to be...or we will recognize and embrace what they have become!

In addition, for those of you who know what this means, I have been called to be the first counselor in the Relief Society. I'll accept your condolences now, thank you. For those of you who don't, the RS is the women's organization at church and there is a group of women, the presidency, who are called upon to organize the efforts of these women, which include Sunday education, charitable service, emotional, spiritual, and personal development, etc. These are the people who set up the meals people brought to me after I had Jacob, who taught me how to make refrigerator magnets, who got me involved in taking meals to the Ronald McDonald house, who arrange for teachers and lessons on the gospel every Sunday, and on and on and on. Since these women deal with the personalities of a diverse range sisters in the congregation, they need to be nurturing, compassionate, thoughtful souls whose shoulders are broad and whose tact knows no bounds. And now I am to be one of these women. Oh, this all seems fraught with potential problems for the likes of me, does it not? As my mother told me, you're maternal now, so it should be fine. Right!! Time to turn over a new leaf and find the softer, gentler me. Wish me luck!

(I was informed that since I had had the baby and had taken a "vacation" for awhile, it was time to get back in the saddle in a new calling. I dispute the use of the word vacation in this context but that's a minor point. Major point: me, in the RS presidency. Ack!)

Bouncing baby sighing baby sighs as he falls asleep. A few more minutes and I can pick him up and join him!

No comments: