Pages

Monday, June 09, 2008

I'm sure you're aware

Contrary to popular opinion, my church espouses a policy of political neutrality. Yes, many, many Mormons in the United States are Republicans (including the husband) but not all (such as yours truly). And the church itself, while taking an active role on those political and social topics it deems important and encouraging its members to do likewise, does not endorse any specific party or political identification nor condone the use of church information for political purposes.

Sadly, however, this neutral position is often ignored by individual members who have (I want to believe) only the best of intentions and can't understand why anyone else might disagree with their positions. And the injunction against using member information, such as email addresses or phone numbers, for political purposes is often forgotten, usually (I want to believe) innocently enough and often because of, again, good intentions and (seemingly) righteous motives.

This weekend I received an alarming political email from an individual at church. The email was distressing on many levels, not the least of which is the fact that I shouldn't be getting such things at all from other members. In addition, its content was anti-Islamic, racist, pseudo-religious, and xenophobic fear mongering of the worst type. It is hard enough to (quietly) be a thoughtful, reasoned Democrat in a red state without feeling like I need to defend my positions against falsehoods and misinformation at church, where I very much enjoy the fact that politics are (usually) beside the point.

The whole thing really bummed me out, man.

No comments: