Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

Jump for my love

I thought I had it all planned out. I thought I had considered every complication. I was congratulating myself on having squeezed all of our stuff into one carry-on roller bag and a backpack masquerading as a diaper bag. And then, in the middle of the night, while feeding J, I realized that while I had his stuff in a 1 quart zipper bag in quantities of 3 ounces or less, I had just put my own toiletries willy-nilly in my roller bag, which was fine for the flight out because I was planning on checking that bag, but for the flights back I have to carry everything on, so as to be able to get off one flight in Atlanta and switch to another flight going to Charleston rather than continuing on my original flight to Charlotte. In other words, I need to fit all of my contraband liquid and gel toiletries and all his meds and creams in ONE tiny little ziplock bag for the trip home.

DANG IT!!

What to do? A quick consultation of the TSA website became an hour-long ordeal during which I decided that the TSA really needs to hire an English major and a non-government employee to rewrite their impossibly worded regulations. They say that each traveller is allowed one plastic bag. However, they also say that each traveller must put "their" (because they never saw a pronoun with which they wanted to agree) own bag on the conveyor belt themselves. So does that mean we can have two bags between us as long as J can pick up his own bag and drop it in the plastic bin on top of his baby sandals? Because that's not clear either, whether he has to remove his shoes or not. And will the folks in SLC agree with the folks in ATL, because we may have to go through security twice...?

Stay tuned....

No comments: