Pages

Thursday, December 04, 2008

I think too much

We are busy bees here, what with all the sneezing, coughing, snoring, crying, and sighing going on. The husband appears to be mostly on the mend, and Baby J is moving toward being well, though he is still hacking up a lung, or so it seems, at times. The doctor asked me if his cough was "croupy." Umm, I've never heard a croupy cough, so how would I know. Oh, it's very distinctive, she tells me. Sure, I think, if you've heard it before. What do you expect from me, lady? So, of course, as soon as I left the doctor's office, I googled "croup audio" and wouldn't you know it? Some helpful health care site has handily included audio clips of all kinds of coughs just for worried moms like me. (Oh, and it's not croup, thank goodness, because UGH! Terrifying sounds!)

Every once in a while I have a moment like this, of pure, unadulterated love for the Internets. I know that the Internet has caused a decline in student scholarly ability (because why look anywhere besides Wikipedia?? they say), and I know there is much to be researched that is not cataloged electronically and is therefore now missed, but in these happy moments, I am grateful for the ease with which most information can now come to me. For someone like me, who doesn't make a move without doing some thorough (some would say obsessive) research, the Web is a treasure trove, a time saver, the answer to many, if not all, of my questions. And in this case, it eased my mind considerably, since the doctor's breezy "oh, I sure it's not croup" wasn't particularly reassuring, funnily enough.

No comments: