Pages

Saturday, January 03, 2009

What do you dream about?

Yawn. I'm tired. Something in the air today is wearing me out. It could be that Baby J isn't sleeping particularly well these days or it could be this migraine I am willing to go away or it could be the dreary weather or it could be that there's nothing on TV or it could be that my house is a wreck or it could be any number of stressors I'm too tired to enumerate. Instead...yawn.

Today was a typical Saturday. When we have days like these, I am always reminded of a scene from Old School (no one who has not yet seen this movie needs to see it, by the way, Luke Wilson and Vince Vaughn notwithstanding) in which Will Ferrell tells the young college bucks who ask him why he can't drink that night, "I got a big day tomorrow. You guys have a great time." College Student: "A big day? Doing what?" Will: "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time" with this silly grin on his face. I understand the derision the college students feel, but I also totally get Ferrell's character, a product of his age, much as I am now.

We ran similar errands: grocery shopping, returns to Old Navy, search for shoes for Baby J at the children's consignment store (we came away with shoes, a coat, and a jogging stroller, which was not on the list but was cheap and in great condition, so what can you do?), and deposits at Goodwill. We also rearranged our food storage and were home for both of Baby J's naps. In short, just your average Saturday, not much to sing about, but necessary all the same. And it's the small victories that count: a coat for $5.50? Excellent!!

But for now, sleep. Ahhhhh.......

No comments: