Pages

Friday, July 03, 2009

As the men made of stone

I went to see the gall bladder surgeon this week and, for multiple reasons we won't get into today (such as past and present medical history and the like), we are opting to control my gall bladder disease with diet for the time being. If things get really, really really bad, then we will revisit surgery sooner rather than later, but, in the meantime, it's all about a new and improved diet. Sort of.
You see, for the uninitiated, the gall bladder goes crazy with bile when you eat fatty foods. So, to limit the (over)storage of bile and the subsequent stones created from that bile and a lot of other nasty stuff, you need to avoid fat. Sounds easy, right? Oh, silly silly goose!

Yes, you need to eat a low fat diet, and, first, you should avoid greasy, fried food like the plague. This is a slightly easier task if you're not Mormon and don't live in the South, but whatever. I can persevere here. Oh, and especially no Chinese food. The doctor said 75% of the attacks she sees are triggered by eating Chinese food. Yikes! Second, you need to watch the fat in your dairy. Check. I hardly eat any dairy, of course, and what I do eat is always fat free and lactose free for good measure. Third, you need to watch your saturated fats, such as those found in red meat. Again, not too many problems here. We eat red meat about twice a month, if that. I'm all about the chicken and vegetables, people. So far, so good, right?
Unfortunately, there are lots (and I mean LOTS) of other foods that trigger attacks for many people. Among these (and the list is shockingly long) are pork, eggs, beans, onions, corn, carbonated beverages, artificial sweeteners, oranges, and nuts. Wait, what?! Hold on a second, eliminating these foods seriously hampers my default meals, which are hummus and pita with oranges, scrambled eggs with onions, lemon berry slushes from Sonic, and Crystal Light (at times, this is a meal, 'cause it's really hot here, my friends, and sometimes you just don't feel like eating in that kind of weather).

So, my plan is to try out eating these foods alone and check which ones cause problems. (I'm already suspicious that I may not be able to do beans, after a church function where we had a tasting menu made of recipes featuring beans. The dishes were great, but I felt some ominous twinges whilst eating that stopped as soon as I did, thankfully.) I'm most likely going to avoid talking about my experiments, except when they fail, and then only because I have to keep track. Fun fun fun for everyone!

No comments: