Pages

Friday, June 04, 2010

The gall of me

I have returned from gall bladder surgery none the worse for wear. Well, not much the worse for wear: I do have four little holes in my abdomen covered by band-aids and/or gauze and had lots of pain, but all is well considering. I went in for surgery at 9:30 am and was home by 3pm. I was actually wheeled into the operating room at around 10-ish but they gave me Verced (sp? the husband's not around to check) just before, and I told them I usually don't remember anything after that, to which the nurse administering the drug said "Oh, a lightweight, huh?"....and that's the last thing I remember until I woke up telling the husband I was really thirsty and needed to burp (there's no polite way to say that) something fierce. I had some intense hallucinations at that point, and I was also quite nauseated, but, after a double dose of fenegrin (sp? again), I apparently went back to sleep for several hours.

The only disconcerting pieces of the whole day were the fact that I never met the surgeon, though everyone kept assuring me she would be right along (she did, however, call and leave a detailed message post-surgery for the husband, so that was nice) and the fact that when I woke up the second time, I was all alone and had to bang on the railing of my bed with a dish to get someone's attention to come and get me up. Apparently, I had been sleeping so soundly my nurse went off to do other things, and the husband left for a quick meeting in another part of the hospital, since it was clear I wasn't going to need anyone's assistance right away. As it was, I only came around about ten minutes before he came back to take me home.

My mother-in-law has been here to help me recuperate, which has been heavenly, since lifting my two large boys has been nigh unto impossible. I'm lucky to have such great mothers (actual and in-law) to come and rescue me in times of need! And I'm lucky the operation and recovery have been textbook successful. Huzzahs all around!

No comments: